Search This Blog

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Amiibos are a plague to humanity

  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Amiibos are a plague to humanity
You know it to be true deep inside
I like games and anime. My favorite games include the following: Mother 1-3, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Cross, Zelda LA-ALttP-OoT-MM-ALBW, and Super Smash Bros.
iangeofries 3 days ago#2
Will die before I buy one. Eventually I'm going to look into one of those NFC tag things.
System: Windows 10 Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Intel 4770k 3.5gz 8GB Ram MSI GTX Geforce 770 OC 2GB 240GB Intel SSD 1TB WD HDD FC: 4012-3656-4495
TinyTim123 3 days ago#3
I would like them a lot more if they didn't have game functionality tied to them... if they were just cool little plastic toys to have and play with. 

I have a fair amount right now, not for use with games, but because I like the characters, and got most of them very cheap. All the Animal Crossing ones, for example. They certainly turned out useful to me when I later got a Wii U and games that actually used them, but I would have been happier not needing them in the first place... then I could just get the ones I wanted, and not have to worry about getting other ones in order to play everything I want in specific games.
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
En un mundo perfecto, eso definitivamente importaria.
PS4Warrior 3 days ago#4
They are.
PS4 - Because it was the next gen console i was the most interested in.
Warrior - Because i usually pick the Warrior class in MMORPGs when i played them.
I've been saying that since they were announced. Nice to see some folks are finally starting to understand how anti-consumer they are.

The really stupid thing is, if they were released with no functionality at ALL, they'd still have sold well. Consumers WANT Nintendo collectibles, and Nintendo hadn't exactly been putting them forth.
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976
totally agree

iangeofries posted...
Will die before I buy one.


this too
Cletus Kasady/Carnage Is The Greatest Villain Of All Time
S'up Im Karnage The Ultimate Cheater I Love to Cheat If You Don't Like It It's Your Problem Not Mine
CaioNV 3 days ago#7
I gave in to temptation and bought two Smash amiibo total. However, as of right now, yeah, amiibo was a mistake.
Don't you have anything better to do?
highpost1388 3 days ago#8
I'd also buy them if they had no game implications. My daughter loves the look of them.
Recently beat: Valkyria Chronicles, FFXV, Rogue Galaxy, Persona 4&5, Pokemon Y
Playing: Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, DQ8, Life is Strange, ESO
PsychoWolfX 3 days ago#9
Humanity is the greatest plague that has ever existed. 
Amiibos are cool.
Love conquers everything ... except knives, swords, axes, guns, spears, fists, rocks, strong gusts of wind, and/or dangerous wild animals.
DiduXD 3 days ago#10
I'm trying to collect all the Smash amiibo.
Forget what you've already won and focus on the current match. Main FC: 4313-5212-1176 IGN Matthew
Error processing 2nd FC
SaturnSnowman 3 days ago#11
DiduXD posted...
I'm trying to collect all the Smash amiibo.


That's a lot of cash that could've been spent on actual video games. But if you like collectibles then I guess I can see the appeal.
I like games and anime. My favorite games include the following: Mother 1-3, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Cross, Zelda LA-ALttP-OoT-MM-ALBW, and Super Smash Bros.
Amiibo is both the singular and plural. Spread the word.
#13
(message deleted)
When it's at the start of a sentence, I have no choice but to capitalise it or the grammar nazis will round up me and my family.
TinyTim123 3 days ago#15
highpost1388 posted...
I'd also buy them if they had no game implications. My daughter loves the look of them.

See, that's why I have the ones that I have, the Animal Crossing ones, Kirby and friends (though I did get to use them for Robobot, I had them before the games was released), and a few others.

I've used them much more as toys while while playing with my niece than I have in games.
However, because I have collected the ones that I have, they turned out useful for the Wii U's Amiibo Festival, and for Kirby's Planet Robobot.

I don't really want to buy any Metroid ones, but want to play the game... 
I'd be much more okay with games that allowed Ammibo to unlock stuff another way, as long as the content could still be gained without use of Amiibo, kinda like Xenoblade.
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
En un mundo perfecto, eso definitivamente importaria.
danmiy12 3 days ago#16
i really only collect them for looks perference i mean when are they ever going to make a little mac figurine or shulk...or even something from animal crossing? but ya i dont buy them for in game benefits but only for having a figurine of my fav chars even if they arent for games that they are usable for...

even things like lucario since there isnt any really good lucario figures without breaking your bank...and the takamory one is only 2 inches tall while the one for smash is twice as tall and looks great...

feel disapointed that now they are laying down more heavily on locking in game on disc stuff on amiibo...looks like nintendo is catching up to other companies on the bad dlc practices >_>...hope its not awful for animal crossing switch...maybe i jynxed it though due to them having those amiibo cards and amiibo figs even for the older game...
MH4U :Atom HH main 5.7k uses hr999/Sonata MHGen 3.4k HH uses 3ds FC 4699-8385-62781
my MH OC: http://danmiy12.deviantart.com/art/Sonata-as-a-Palico-670554160
(edited 3 days ago)quote
Nah
Death Stranding
briguy 3 days ago#18
DiduXD posted...
I'm trying to collect all the Smash amiibo.

I got 'em all. No regrets.
Nintendo Switch + PS4 Pro + New 3DS
GeekyDad 3 days ago#19
...that thread title, though :D
The new GFAQs interface blows a$$!
My 3DS FC: 1418-6769-0538
Null_Gain 3 days ago#20
Overreactions and Gamefaqs go hand-in-hand
3DS + X1 
"I hit on 16 year old girls, I'm late 20s (legal here bite me)" - shqiponja
I originally bought over 25 of them. And then I sold ALL of them and only kept Tom Nook. That's my story.
MoreRpgs 3 days ago#22
iangeofries posted...
Will die before I buy one.
Joshjosh022 3 days ago#23
You're being dramatic
Bob-omb-omb 3 days ago#24
no anime is
10th enemy has the bomb.
I will collect all the AC amiibos one day. They look good and they're cute enough that if I don't like them anymore, I can easily give them to my numerous nieces and nephews. :)
Feeling lethargic and unmotivated...
desuno-to 3 days ago#26
Having no 3DS adapter or WiiU, I have no use for them gamewise, but I have bought a couple on sale because they look good as display figures (the 8-bit Mario/Link). 

But how it's run as a business, from crappy logistics to being a limited-availability paywall, it's pretty abysmal.
RahzarX 3 days ago#27
iangeofries posted...
Will die before I buy one. Eventually I'm going to look into one of those NFC tag things.


But they're cool to look at
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
CaioNV 3 days ago#28
clicketyclick posted...
Amiibo is both the singular and plural. Spread the word.


Wrong, "amiibo" is both the singular and plural. The uppercase A is also incorrect.
Don't you have anything better to do?
Darkstorm16 3 days ago#29
Don't like it don't buy it...the end. I know it's such a hard concept.
Nintendo Network/PSN: Desertking24/Steam:Desertking23
Mario Maker: 4481-0000-0110-25DA
Herbette 3 days ago#30
Amiibos are very cool. 
The only plague is the mentality consisting at feeling forced to buy 15 bucks plastic figurine to unlock a hat or a sword in a random game.
Blayshy 2 days ago#31
iangeofries posted...
Will die before I buy one. Eventually I'm going to look into one of those NFC tag things.

You should.


Amiibo were cool, at first. Then they started to go a little too far with them, locking actual content behind it.
Uh... A-Are you sure to interact with others?
-Mario, Ganondorf, Sonic, Bowser Jr. / Wendy, Duck Hunt, Marth, Mewtwo Mainer.
promero14 2 days ago#32
Yes. I'm starting to dislike Nintendo....and that's really sad for me.
I can't imagine being so offended over a product existing, that it triggers me enough to come to message boards to cry about it.
RIP Keith Robinson. 9/9/1955 - 6/14/2017
Business partner, Blue Sky Ranger, Friend.
promero14 posted...
Yes. I'm starting to dislike Nintendo....and that's really sad for me.

Same.
You found a stardrop! It's strange, but the taste reminds you of Shane. Your maximum energy level has increased.
Milsa4ever 2 days ago#35
I've bought several and received some as gifts. What confused me was why people were willing to pay $50 for the rare ones like Pit.
(adds signature, or no one will read last line of text.)
Milsa4ever posted...
I've bought several and received some as gifts. What confused me was why people were willing to pay $50 for the rare ones like Pit.

Pit isn't even rare. I got Pit for $9 from Amazon just a few weeks ago. But ya, I know what you mean.

I think that was more of a reality back when amiibo were first released and they were novel. Nowadays, I see scalpers trying fruitlessly to sell them online for markups. People just aren't falling for it as much anymore.
Selling collectible figures is fine, but using them as extortion for people who don't want the figures but want access to the "on disk" DLC is terrible.

If they would sell the Amiibo "on disk" DLC separately per game at a discounted price (compared to the Amiibo) all this would be solved, but nope (not super enthusiastic about "on disk" DLC either but it's the lesser of evils compared to Amiibo).

Although adding on disk DLC to a 25 year old game is another issue altogether.
The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. They're all complacent sheeple. Passion fights, but reason wins.
21_21 2 days ago#38
BurgerTime79 posted...
I can't imagine being so offended over a product existing, that it triggers me enough to come to message boards to cry about it.


Considering the fact that people bitch about many games with shitty practices being released all the time, you're far from being the first person to do so.
Playing: LoH: Trails in the Sky The Third
PENGUINS! Get Trails in the Sky AS WELL AS COLD STEEL and support XSEED for their hard work!
(edited 2 days ago)quote
DiduXD 2 days ago#39
Milsa4ever posted...
I've bought several and received some as gifts. What confused me was why people were willing to pay $50 for the rare ones like Pit.

I got Pit for $15 at Toys Rus.
Forget what you've already won and focus on the current match. Main FC: 4313-5212-1176 IGN Matthew
Error processing 2nd FC
PsychoWolfX posted...
Humanity is the greatest plague that has ever existed.
"Life itself is a death sentence"
Durric 2 days ago#41
For the couple people commenting on finding Pit for cheap, Milsa4ever was referring to Pits first run, where it was indeed quite rare. He had a second production run though and became very common after that.
Solid Sonic 2 days ago#42
Was buying the Woolly World Amiibos just because I thought they were cute wrong? I mean I don't even have the game.
DorkLink said I could borrow his signature so I did (see below):
AndyJoe89 2 days ago#43
DarkKirby2500 posted...
Although adding on disk DLC to a 25 year old game is another issue altogether.

A full remake of a 25 year old game.
GameFAQs: The gaming community that hates gaming.
irulethegalaxy posted...
I've been saying that since they were announced. Nice to see some folks are finally starting to understand how anti-consumer they are.

The really stupid thing is, if they were released with no functionality at ALL, they'd still have sold well. Consumers WANT Nintendo collectibles, and Nintendo hadn't exactly been putting them forth.
BurgerTime79 posted...
I can't imagine being so offended over a product existing, that it triggers me enough to come to message boards to cry about it.
I said it in another post, I'll say it again:

I want to punch the person in the face who ever is in control of amiibo production and tell them to get their shit together. "See those scalpers? They'll buy 300 of your units! Make em feel the guilt when they realize that you're gonna print as many as these fuckers will buy off you! Make them desperate to sell them so low, you just made a double profit off these bastards! One from the scalpers, one from the actual consumers!"

Minus the uhhh.....punching part I guess. We'll see if they need it or not.
/BinBinricecake - Morgan - Warrior/~"You're brothers-in-nobody's-arms. Family that's lonely together is bro-nly together"
-Teddy
Banjo2553 1 day ago#47
I only get amiibo of characters I like. It's why I got the Shulk amiibo, Smash Link, Wolf Link, and Ganondorf ones. I wanted Smash Samus and the new Samus one, but I guess I was too late for those. Can't find Smash Samus and the new one is sold out.
dj4242 1 day ago#48
The only amiibo I've wanted so far is Cloud and I haven't bought it.
#MAGA
Got a Chris Paul mindstate, I'm never out of bounds
Naw, SJWs are a plague to humanity. Amiibos are just a plague to gaming.

I have a few, but just characters I like for collectible purposes.
I am Ace-of-Clubs, and I approve this message.
"Final Fantasy XV its like Big Bazooka that fires with farts" - eisgiga
amiibo 1 day ago#50
dj4242 posted...
The only amiibo I've wanted so far is Cloud and I haven't bought it.

Not really surprising considering the initial hype for amiibo has long since passed and Cloud in particular isn't compatible with anything other than a several years-old game (not to mention if you're a FF fan and really wanted to have a figure of Cloud, it's not like there aren't any non-amiibo sources out there).
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS 
  3. Amiibos are a plague to humanity

No comments:

Post a Comment